The recent article on Buzzfeed made me think about what I really miss about my UCLA days. And it made me realize that many other Asian Americans that were Bruins “back in the day” may miss these same fond memories. Or maybe you experienced them with me…sorry if I told you a lame joke when I was buzzed.
10. You’ve watched (or were in) Hip Hop…ACA Hip Hop or KSA Hip Hop or NSU Hip Hop to be more specific. Those were some of the only times I ever went to Royce Hall.
9. You’ve gotten mad at people for not taking off their shoes before coming in to your dorm. Sure, it’s the same carpet as the hallway, but it’s YOUR room! Be respectful.
8. You’ve eaten a cheap, delicious combo at New Japan. Wasn’t it like $7 or something??
7. You’ve danced on the tables at Miyagis. That place was so sad looking for awhile after I graduated and now it’s a Pink Taco.
6. You lived south of Wilshire. Seriously, you got the most bang for your buck the further you lived from Westwood. And you probably put up a fake wall to turn a dining room into a bedroom at some point (or knew someone who lived in a makeshift bedroom).
5. You skipped class to hang out on Bruin Walk or Treetop. It was THE place to see and be seen. Do kids still kick it there? Do they still say “kick it”?
4. You bought late night boba at Relaxtation on Sawtelle. How could this place have closed?? It was the first boba place on the west side that I know of. Actually, you probably went to Hurry Curry on Sawtelle too…way before all these foodie joints they have now. We still drive by and look at the spot where Relaxtation was located thinking back to it fondly.
3. Since we’re talking about Sawtelle, you probably snuck through the Karaoke place into Cafe Muse for a sake bomb before you were 21. Cafe Muse is a classic that I’ll never get to take my kids to.
2. You watched people dance in circles at an AGC party. Just admit you went to them.
Last, but not least:
1. If nothing else on this list, you definitely went to UCLA back in the day if you have ever been to Q’s on a Thursday night! Drove all the way to Pasadena?? Waited in line?? Danced in that cage?? For sure.
I’m sure I’m missing much more. What did you do back in the day? Maybe studying should have been on this list somewhere.